Samstag, 21. Juni 2008

Midsummer Festival

Today´s midsummer! =) On that day the summer starts!
It´s an old tradition to celebrate that day with a wood-crop, which you´re going to burn after it gets dark. It´s a very old tradition and so I can´t say when and where it originally started. There´re a lot of myths about that day and in different cultures you find even more myths.

Our midsummer festival´s celebrated on a small hill in Petzenkirchen. I made you some pictures of the crop - before sunset and after sunset and you can also see the view from the hill to Petzenkirchen.
On our crop it´s also a tradition to "hang up" a scarecrow. Sadly I couldn´t find out why we do that and when it started. We call that scarecrow "Sonnenwenden-Hansl" (midsummer = Sonnenwende / Hans = a typical german name).





Petzenkirchen


Our church


Photos´re all made by myself.

Keine Kommentare: